Welcome this week’s Wizzy News.
Lots to report on as usual with plenty of pics of the weekend games and some helpful tips on social distancing in our ‘other news’ section
Congratulations to all the players who made it onto the honours board this week :
Firsts vs Barns Green
Match report :
So the final game of the season for the 1s at Home to Barns Green and what a day it was, said nobody ever.
Wisborough won the toss on what looked like a green wicket, only for it to play as good as it had all season. Early pressure from Hugo March and James Rainford was deflected by the Barns Green opening pair, and their style of batting frustrated the Wisborough bowlers. Every bowler hit their line and lengths and it was a much improved performance to that at Trinity, but it seemed another day in which the ball was evading the Wisborough fielders and landing safely in all the gaps.
That said the Barns Green batsmen dug in and this is something Wisborough batting line up could learn from. Two wickets a piece for Tom and Kleiny, with Barns Green ending on 217.
So tea was taken, maybe the last of the BYO era – or the ‘New Normal’ keeping players like Hoppo & Thatchy well away from the game.
Wisborough headed out to bat with Malcolm and Vickery looking to be positive. The BG opening bowlers chucked down multiple wides and the score started to tick along. Malcs then received his first straight ball on the stumps, and decided to try and pick out Jamie Self in the shop. Bowled – and the start of the Wisborough downfall.
Dan Vickery the next victim, spooning one up to mid-wicket. In short, it was poor. Again no real grit between the teeth and digging in. Yes the pitch wasn’t one to write home about, however if we keep rolling over, then 2021 could be a long season! Much to build on and take away into the winter nets!
Click here for the scorecard
Seconds vs Barns Green
- Skipper Frank Vickery wins the toss and elects to field in reduced overs game.
- Oscar Warmington claims wicket with his first ball of the day as Wisborough hopes rise
- Eddie Ragg takes great catch to remove big hitting Barns Green dangerman.
- Frank Vickery and Oscar Warmington clean up the tail and bag 7 wickets between them
- Barns Green finish innings on 172
- Chris Francis gets off to a good start notching up 23.
- Wisborough loose early wickets and on the ropes at 85 for 6
- Jacob Ball holds the innings together with well played 36 after surviving loud lbw appeal early on.
- Tailenders left with too much to do in final overs
- Wisborough fall short by 38 in disappointing end to the game
- Credible performance by the team in the August Cup finishing 2nd on the table having beaten league winners West Chiltington
- Many positives to take away including some great individual performances from some of the younger players .
- Looking forward to some friendly games over the next few weeks.
Click here for the scorecard
Pics from the Second X1 game
Sunday X1 vs Ferring
- Wisborough side packed with youth lost the toss and sent in to bat.
- Batsmen 1, 3 and 4 combined age still less that of the other opener.
- Openers fall cheaply
- Eddie Ragg and Will Dixon show the old timers how it’s done with fantastic partnership. (Ragg 27, Dixon 20).
- Harry Dancaster showed his batting prowess by smashing 37 to all parts of the Green.
- Tarni Dixon makes his long awaited comeback for the club – batted with class until he forgot the “never go back on Wisborough Green” rule.
- Rafferty Finn becomes (probably) the club’s youngest ever opening bowler in a senior game and bowled beautifully.
- Will Dixon claimed 3 scalps plus a run out when he deflected a beautiful straight drive onto the stumps with his toe.
- Not to be outdone brother Josh Dixon bowled superbly to take 2 wickets
- Ferring chased down Wisborough’s 138 in 28 overs
- Game played in great spirit – Ferring full of praise for Wisborough’s young players.
- Sunday cricket is live and kicking on the Green !!!
Team selections for next week
Please click here for our team selections for the friendlies on the Green on Saturday and Sunday
Century Club draw
Congratulations to the winners of the latest Century Club Draw :
- First Prize Elizabeth Sinclair £250
- Second Prize Jenny Riley £150
- Third Prize Jonathan Farmer £80
- Fourth Prize Pat Farmer £60
- Fifth Prize Charles Webb £50
The final draw for 2020 will be held next month
If you would like to join the Century club please click on the following link : http://www.wisboroughgreencc.co.uk/century-club/
Many thanks to Ray for all his efforts with running the Century club
And finally – spotted out and about ….
Your helpful guide to social distancing
That’s it for this week – If there is anything we need to know, you know where to find us.
Have a great cricketing week