Welcome to this week’s Wizzy News.
The weather has sadly not been on our our side in recent weeks with a number of games having been called off. Our Seconds were lucky enough to get in a game last week and our Twenty 20 side also managed to get in their match against Chiddingfold last Thursday evening
Honours Boards for this week
Congratulations to all the players who feature on the Honours Boards this week.
Second X1 vs West Wittering
- Green visit West Wittering on a damp, cloudy afternoon and are sent into bat by the oppo
- Tarni Dixon and Steve Calder-Smith open the innings and are greeted by an erratic opening over giving some early bonus runs.
- A dangerous first change and opening bowler take the big scalps of Tarni Dixon and Rich Wilson both out for under 10.
- A partnership starts to build between Steve Calder-Smith and Will Dixon in the middle overs of the innings with Steve playing some world class shots.
- Steve is bowled for a classy 61 and Will Dixon is trapped in front for 25 ending the solid partnership
- Green middle order put pressure on the fielders as they pile on the boundaries – Eddie Ragg with a quick, well played 24 and Joey Calder-Smith with a rapid 21
- Wisborough Green all out for a very competitive 193.
- Frank Vickery claims an early scalp by trapping the opening batsman in front
- Number 3 batman comes in and scores a quick 14 but is swiftly dismissed by Will Dixon
- Great bowling by Joey Calder-Smith and Eddie Ragg see off the middle order in quick succession
- Oscar Warmington has to leave the field after taking one for the team on the shin , but thankfully returns to fight another day
- West Wittering key batsman finally dismissed by Will Dixon for a well played 47
- Josh Dixon mops up the tail as West Wittering all our for 84
- Green celebrate a long overdue and well deserved victory
Click here for the full scorecard
Twenty 20 vs Chiddingfold
- Twenty 20 side take on Chiddingfold in midweek tournament
- James Janion gets Green off to a great start with undefeated 37
- Dan Vickery continues the slogfest with 36 off 17 balls which includes 4 sixes
- Ollie Stott completes the pounding with 25 off 26 balls
- Green finish on credible 166 in allotted 20 overs
- Great opening spell by Hugo March and Oscar Warmington sees 3 wickets fall with only 17 on the board
- Will Dixon carries on the good work some some tight bowling
- Ball magnet James Janion holds onto some great catches off Eddie Ragg’s bowling as wickets keep tumbling
- Chiddingfold all out for 80 as Sizzle takes the final wicket in comprehensive victory for the Green
Click here for the full scorecard
Presidents day – Sunday 4 July
Many thanks to Mr Club President Steve Calder Smith for a fantastic Presidents day. The weather wasn’t particularly kind , but the ‘6 ball per player’ batting contest between the Presidents X1 and Chairman’s X1 provided some great entertainment which more than made up for the cancelled game.
It was great to celebrate the game of cricket with many longstanding friends if the club
Run Wisborough 2021
Despite the weather and COVID restrictions the run went fantastically well with many runners praising the brilliant atmosphere and friendly villagers and marshals. Over 700 runners signed up with about 550 braving the conditions to get to the start line.
We extend our congratulations to Luke Burgess of Horsham Blue Star Harriers who won the 10k race and smashed the course record with a superb time of 00:33:42. For the ladies, Yvette Wrapson was the fastest with a record breaking time of 00:42:08 – well done to both. In the 5k, our congratulations go to Bernie Spannagl who crossed first with a time of 00:17:00. Laelia Marris of Crawley AC was the fastest lady, posting a time of 00:20:09. A special mention to Patrick Martin, Terry Avey, Katie Webber, Jenny Hughes and Kay Smith for breaking the course records in their respective age categories.
Even though we weren’t able to put on all the attractions we usually do the event will still raise over £5,000 towards sports facilities in the village so a massive thank you to everyone who took, part, helped or just cheered runners on!
Wisborough Green Sports
Please click on the follwoing link to view and order photos of the day : https://wisboroughgreensportscio.pixieset.com/rw2021/
Girls game on the Green
There are no senior league games on Saturday and the girls team will be in action against Horsham on the Green on Saturday afternoon from 2pm. Please do come along and support them
And finally – spotted out and about ….
That’s it for this week – If there is anything we need to know, you know where to find us.
Have a great cricketing week