Welcome to this week’s Wizzy News – our weekly roundup of news and events at Wisborough Green cricket club.
Another great week of cricket to report on with another outstanding performance from one of our younger players.
Congratulations to all those who made in onto our honours board this week
First X1 vs West Wittering
- West Wittering win the toss and give Wisborough the first use of what proves to be a very good batting track
- Bright start to the innings , before Martin Hopkins and DJ Dominique are both yorked by Pink with the total on 33
- Tom Malcolm makes rapid 46 before being caught at slip , playing a very strange stroke, in the 11th over
- Rest of innings is dominated dominate by Hughie Ragg , making his first half-century for the First X1
- After cautious start , 6 in his first 11 overs at the crease , Hughie accelerates dramatically and is bowled in penultimate over for 91
- Good support from Jamie Self , who makes 32 of a stand of 77 in 8 overs, as the visitors crumble in the second half of the innings.
- Skipper Jonny Farmer makes a rapid 28, before running himself out in the last over. Green finish with an imposing 258 for 8.
- West Wittering never look likely to threaten target as they are soon reduced to 28 for 3.
- Jack ‘Sizzle’ Carter again the pick of the attack with 3 for 17 from 9 tidy, testing overs.
- Jonny Farmer takes the first of two very sharp catches at slip. Martin Hopkins takes spectacular catch at extra-cover , following ferocious drive from Ledrum.
- Bates(29) , and Pink (33) stage mini recovery , before the former is run out in bizarre fashion , the batsmen crossing twice in mid-pitch without a run being completed.
- West Wittering all out for 151 in 34th over. Two wickets apiece for Jamie Self and Martin Hopkins , the latter taking another remarkable catch, this time off his own bowling.
- Two wins in a row for the first time this season eases relegation worries
Click here for the full scorecard
Second X1 vs Brighton & Hove
- 2nd X1 lose to promotion hopefuls Brighton & Hove
- Joey Calder Smith strikes early with the ball, claiming 2 early wickets
- Eddie Ragg denied early runout with square leg umpire wagging his finger , as batsman goes on to score 71
- Jack Dixon picks up 2 wickets with good spell of bowling towards the end of the innings.
- Brutal finish sees Brighton and Hove amass 250
- Charlie Phillips ,Steve Calder Smith and Joey Calder Smith get team off to a flyer.
- Opening bowler helps Green with an 11 ball over.
- Joey Calder Smith tries to start new fashion trend by batting with his shirt inside out
- Crowd entertained towards end of the innings with classy display from Eddie Ragg and enjoyable running between the wickets from Frank Vickery
- Wisborough struggle to keep up with run rate, and finish on 182 for 8.
Click here for the full scorecard
Matches this weekend
Click here for the team selections for this Saturday
What do you have to do to score 91 in a First team game ?
The laws of cricket – bye and leg bye
The laws of cricket can sometimes be a very confusing . Starting from this week we thought it would be a good idea to go through a few of the laws of cricket for those who watch or play and may not be too familiar with some of the finer points of the game.
This week we thought we would cover the ‘bye’ and ‘leg bye’ . What better way to explain the rule than this delightful 2 minute video expertly narrated by cricket enthusiast Stephen Fry.
The video covers the difference between a bye and a leg bye and what should happen when the batsman dosn’t attempt to play a shot, the ball hits the pads and they run between the wickets….
Click here to view the clip
And finally ….
Spotted out and about …
That’s it for this week – If there is anything we need to know, you know where to find us.
Have a great cricketing week
Thank you to our sponsors for all their support