Welcome to this week’s Wizzy News – our weekly roundup of news and events at Wisborough Green cricket club.
A great end of season result for our Firsts who finish the season with 6 wins on the trot.
Congratulations to all those who made it onto our final honours board of the season
First X1 vs Barns Green
- First XI visit promotion-chasing Barns Green for the final match of the season.
- Jonny Farmer again elects to bat first on winning the toss, the eighth match in succession in which we have batted first. The pitch gives more assistance to the bowlers than had looked likely.
- Tom Malcolm is first out, walking off after a thin edge to ‘keeper Mike Nugent, only batsman and ‘keeper appearing to realise there is contact.
- Alan Law strikes his first ball to the cover boundary and continues to play in aggressive manner, reaching 47 (and passing 600 runs for the season) before falling to a fine catch from Barns Green skipper Will Currie, having skied left-arm spinner Nick Cooper.
- From 93 for 5, Jamie Self (41) and D.J. Dominique (21) share a sensible partnership of 55 in 13 overs.
- The partnership ends when D.J. is run out after a disagreement about a sharp single, and we collapse from 148 for 5 to 148 for 9.
- After a minor rally from James Rainford and Hugo March, we are all out for 156, off 39.3 overs.
- In the fourth over of the Barns Green reply, Hugo takes the important wicket of experienced campaigner Jay Dumbrill, caught down the leg-side by a juggling D.J.
- Having already caused him considerable difficulties, Jamie Self bowls OSP Jared Van Blerk, then has diminutive opener Matt Bassett smartly caught low down by Dan Vickery, at gully.
- In the final over of an excellent seven-over spell, Hugo claims the key wicket of Olly Woodward with a superb inswinger, which hits the top of off stump.
- Jack Sizzey-Carter claims wickets in each of his first two overs, on his way to 3 for 15 from 8 miserly overs, as the home side slump to 54 for 6. They recover slightly before a 20-minute break for a heavy shower, at 79 for 6 off 25 overs.
- Having survived a huge appeal for l.b.w first ball, skipper Will Currie moves to 38. However, the ball after pulling James Rainford over mid-wicket for six, the bowler exacts revenge, bowling him with a deadly yorker.
- Two more quick wickets follow and, at 98 for 9 in the 31st over, the game appears over.
- Hard-hitting Danny Conway has other ideas. He smashes James Rainford and Tom Malcolm mightily for sixes. With youngster Joe Kingsbury defending stoutly, Barns Green threaten a remarkable victory.
- With 21 required from 15 balls, Conway (32) aims another big blow against Tom, but sends the ball towards Martin Hopkins at deep mid-wicket, who holds his nerve to take a fine catch and complete our sixth victory in a row.
- We finish in 5th place, leap-frogging Southwater and West Wittering on the last weekend. RMU and Horsham Trinity are promoted.
Click here for the full scorecard
Second X1 vs Stirlands
- Solid opening partnership by Jim Sadler (14) and the form man, Ricky Etheridge (56) who scores his second half century in as many games
- Ricky anchors the innings one end with some classical drives, but Burgess brothers destroy the rest of the batting lineup with superb spells
- Frank Vickery teases opposition with masterclass on how to play the reverse sweep without using the face of the bat as he makes a valiant 17
- Tea the highlight of the day, with no scraps leftover from delicious Bat and Ball number
- Chris Marshall and Frank Vickery bowl tight opening spells, picking up a wicket each
- Joe Bonney takes his first senior league wicket and snaffles danger batsman Fuller
- Stirlands chase down total 4 down, as they gain promotion to div 7.
- Wisborough end up strongest team in the league by holding up all other teams on the table as they look forward to playing in div 9 next season.
Click here for the full scorecard
Date for your diary – end of Season bash– Sat 28th Sept
Hope to see everyone at our end of season bash at the Bat and Ball on Saturday 28 September. Please email us at email@example.com to make your reservation.
And finally ….
Spotted out and about …
Just because …
That’s it for this week – If there is anything we need to know, you know where to find us.
Thank you to our sponsors for all their support