Welcome to this week’s Wizzy News – our weekly roundup of news and events at Wisborough Green cricket club.
Another great week of cricket to report on with both our First X1 and Second X1 winning their games
Congratulations to all those who made it onto our honours board this week
First X1 vs Arundel
- The First XI play hosts to bottom side Arundel, looking to gain revenge for a defeat in the first match of the season.
- Jonny Farmer again elects to bat first upon winning the toss, the seventh match in succession in which we have batted first.
- Unusually, Alan Law is dismissed early, bowled by a fine delivery from teenager Will Spratt, who takes 4 for 30 in two impressive spells.
- Tom Malcolm (39) and Martin Hopkins (a swift 25) contribute useful runs, before being dismissed when seemingly well set.
- Jamie Self dominates the rest of the innings, making a typically fluent and entertaining, if sometimes streaky, 74.
- Hughie Ragg (17) and the skipper Jonny Farmer (15) offer valuable support, in partnerships of 72 and 41.
- Joey Calder-Smith and Chris Francis also reach double figures, as we finish with another impressive total, 225 for 9 (exactly the same total scored against Billingshurst II in the previous match.)
- Hugo March strikes early in the Arundel reply, bowling Towe with his second ball.
- The experienced pairing of Ian Ritchie and Dave Wells share a second-wicket partnership of 58.
- The stand ends when Ritchie, whose 38 is often as stylish as his moustache, is trapped l.b.w. by Jonny Farmer – even Joel Wilson would have raised his finger.
- The talkative Wells , with almost as many fidgets as Steve Smith, receives further good support from Ward In a stand of 62.
- At the halfway point, Arundel are not far behind the required run rate.
- Tom Malcolm bowls Ward (22) with a sharply turning ball and the innings gradually loses momentum.
- Wells is bowled by Jamie Self, for 75 and the match then peters out in a slightly curious manner.
- Arundel close on 197 for 5. In a sometimes untidy fielding display, no catches are taken, Nick Klein and Joey Calder-Smith surprisingly spilling chances in the covers.
- Five wins in a row. One match to go, away to promotion-chasing Barns Green.
Click here for the full scorecard – see pics below from the game (Many thanks to chief photographer Chris Marshall)
Second X1 vs Storrington
Match report by skipper Frank Vickery
On a lovely sunny Saturday at the end of a long season we travelled to Storrington who were threatening to join us in relegation. Their only way out would be to beat us and hope other results went their way.
Things started well for Storrington as I called wrong at the toss, and they elected to bat first.
After 10 overs of average bowling and the guest batsman ‘legside Larry’ , Storrington had got themselves up to 85 for the loss of no wicket. After a masterful change in bowling Eddy Ragg clean bowled Mr Larry.
This opened the floodgates with good bowling coming from all that could land the ball on the wicket. Dan Vickery 3-7, Luke Kilford 2-18 , Frank Vickery 2-36 (one owed to Jimmy Francis with a stunning over head one hand catch) Richard Wilson 1-30, and Will ‘dicko’ Dixon 1-5. Storrington were 171 all out having been 98 for 0 in the 11th over.
After tea, Dan Vickery and Ricky Etheridge took to the middle to make easy work of the total. The only fatality coming when with 4 runs remaining, Dan hit the ball into the open hands of the cover fielder for a well played 76, leaving Ricky (85*) to finish off the innings in style with a helping hand from Mr A Dixon (2*).
A most satisfying afternoon of cricket !
Click here for the full scorecard
Matches this weekend
This Saturday marks the final game of the season which started on 27 April. The Second X1 game is on the green and starts at 10:30 and will finish at 5pm in time for the balloon festival. Please do come along and support the lads – they really do appreciate local supporters cheering them on.
Click here for the team selections
The laws of cricket – ‘Batsman out of his/her ground’
In this week’s video, Stephen Fry covers running between the wickets and where the batsman is out of his or her ground.
Click here to view the video
And finally ….
Spotted out and about …
That’s it for this week – If there is anything we need to know, you know where to find us.
Have a great cricketing week
Thank you to our sponsors for all their support