Welcome this week’s Wizzy News.
Lots to report on as usual with plenty of pics of Saturday’s game
Congratulations to all the players who made it onto the honours board this week :
Saturday X1 friendy vs Slinfold
- A strong Wisborough Side provided an opportunity for those that don’t often bat or bowl to show their skills.
- Slinfold won toss and elected to field.
- Nick Klein and Hugo March open batting. After first over 14-0.
- Klein smashed ball to all parts of the Green – hitting an unbeaten 50 in 5 overs including 11 4s.
- March also took his opportunity, scoring a rapid 15 before missing a straight one.
- Alex Philip, Richard Wilson and Chris Marshall also in the runs.
- Will Dixon scored his maiden senior 50 including 10 4s.
- Wisborough finished on 247-4 off 30 overs
- 11 year old Raffety Finn opened the bowling and took a wicket in each of his first 3 overs.
- Josh Dixon and DJ Dominique among the wickets.
- Will Dixon added 5 wickets to his half century, and took an world class swirling catch to round off a good day.
- Slinfold all out for 136.
- Emphatic win for Wisborough, which although was a mismatch in terms of strength, was played in an excellent spirit by both teams.
Sunday friendly vs West Chiltington
- Early inroads from Joey and Joshy put West Chilt on the back foot
- Will and Leon bag a pair of wickets each
- Richie Mellors rolls back the years with some useful grenades whilst fielding performance leaves a lot to be desired
- Joey CS takes amazing running catch – following skipper moving his gun fielder to key spot
- Tom and Ran Dawson put on opening partnership of 78
- Mellor and Joey with some big hitting displays
- Comfortable victory for the Green
On the back of the Saturday side smashing Slinfold 3rds thanks to some extreme hitting by Kleino (the Wisborough Green Stuart Broad), the pressure was on the Sunday side.
With West Chilt turning up with a very young but very keen side I was surprised to hear that they wanted to have a bat first! And it didn’t take long for Wisborough to make early inroads, Joey Calder Smith striking with the last ball of both his first overs. He was well supported by Joshy who grab a wicket in both his bowling spells.
With West Chilt reeling at 80-6, the ball got chucked to Richie Mellor to try and stem the flow of wickets – however even that didn’t work with a plumb LBW shout raising Pete’s finger yet again!
The one big partnership got West Chilt going, especially with some of the bowling from the skipper. Joey Calder Smith made sure this didn’t get out of hand with a great catch after being moved the prime fielding spot for the pie bowling!!
West Chilt got the total to a competitive but by no means un-gettable 177. The highlight of the day in the field had to be Richard Mellor’s fielding. After showing great reflexes at short midwicket he the retreated to the boundary, he then tried to cut off one four from behind the tree that it rolled into and then showed off his football flare with a beautiful step over for another boundary.
Over to the Awesome Dawson’s to get us off to a flier, with the opening pair putting on 78 for the first wicket and almost taking the game from what was a very chatty West Chilt field. DJ, in at 3, started where he left off the night before – upping his strike rate and average for the season with a Thatch esq display! It took Richie and Joey to show him how it was really done with some big hitting to get green to within touching distance. A few edges off the skippers new bat and green were home for a comfortable win!
A good game, played on friendly terms, against a local team with a similarly good colts setup. It is really great seeing so many good WGCC youngsters turning out on the Green each week. If these guys are the future of WGCC then we are in safe hands!
Click here for the full scorecard
Team selections for next week
Please click here for our team selections for the friendlies on the Green on Saturday and Sunday
And finally – spotted out and about ….
That’s it for this week – If there is anything we need to know, you know where to find us.
Have a great cricketing week