Welcome to the 2019 cricket season – here’s to a great summer of cricket.
Regular readers of Wizzy News are no doubt familiar with the format of Wizzy News – a bit of news about cricket, information about what’s going on in the community , and a good old chuckle about this and that. We don’t take ourselves too seriously at the club and we enjoy having a dig at players and personalities at the club, so if you’re important enough to be a target of our humour please take it as a compliment !
Both our senior teams were in action this week with somewhat weakened teams because many of the regular players were away. It was, shall we say a less memorable day in terms of results but very pleasing to see some good performances from some of the Colts . Pick of the performances goes to John Francis, younger brother of Chris who made a welcome return to the game after a three year absence and whose 34 with the bat gave a little respectability to the Second X1 score. Well done Youngen – this song is for you https://youtu.be/BxNohANhJiA.
Honours boards for the week
A few years ago we introduced our honours boards – an opportunity to recognise noteworthy personal achievements for the week – be they performances that made real differences to their respective teams, or some personal achievements that are noteworthy in their own right – be it someone taking a wicket for the very first time , taking an outstanding catch , hitting a four for the first time etc etc.
Congratulations to all the players who made it onto the honours board this week.
Firsts vs Arundel
- Wisborough fall short after restricting Arundel to 160
- Captain Farmer the pick of the bowlers with 3/20 of his 8.
- Malcolm and Sizzler provide good support.
- Tom with catch of the season contender already…
- DJ, Lawsy and Tarni with fine batting performances.
- Rest of Wisborough offer limited support.
- Skipper Farmer rallies troops for next game
Click here for the full scorecard
Seconds vs Storrington First X1
- Storrington win the toss and elect to field first
- Green batsmen struggle to get going with lively wicket
- Youngen Francis makes welcome return to the team after 3 year absence
- Skipper Marshall and Youngen put on 32 run partnership in middle order
- Green skittled out for 98 – Youngen top scores with 34
- Storrington get off to good start as bowlers struggle to find good length
- Marshall claims 2 wickets
- Charlie Phillips takes fine catch
- Eddie Ragg and Gracie Attridge show good early season form with the ball
- Storrington breeze to victory after 14 overs.
- Disappointing day but its only the first game ….
Click here for the full scorecard
Matches this weekend
Our under 12’s commence their season on Saturday with a game against West Chilt on the Green at 9:30. Please do come along and support them if you can.
Click here for details of the senior games this weekend and the team selections.
Date for your diary
The ever popular annual Wisborough Green fun run is taking place on Sunday 19 May – see details below
The organisers are looking for volunteers to assist – if you are able to help in any way please contact Mike Gadd via email : firstname.lastname@example.org
And finally ….
That’s it for this week – here’s to a great cricket season ahead and some sunshine.
If there is anything we need to know, you know where to find us.
Have a great cricketing week